Vanilla Ice-cream BASE
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup cream, 35% fat
- vanilla bean/extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 125g caster sugar
- 100gm of banana crumb ( Use the same recipe from Date chia and banana cake and break the loaf into crumbs )
Bring to the simmer; milk, cream & vanilla with a little of the sugar, do not allow to boil
Whisk egg yolks with sugar until light & foamy, then whisk in warm milk & cream
Return to rinsed out pan & cook over moderate heat, stirring with wooden spoon until mixture coats the back of the spoon
Strain into an iced bain-marie to cool, then churn in ice-cream machine
Once the ice cream is ready remove and fold the banana loaf crumbs and freeze
• 300g YesYouCan Banana Bread Mix
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• 200g unsalted butter, chopped, softened
• 200gm rapadura sugar
• 3 eggs or use the YYC chia egg replacer
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 125ml buttermilk
• 2 apples, peeled, coarsely grated
• 125ml apple juice
• 125ml maple syrup
• 25gm roasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease 1X 23cm round cake pans and line base and sides with baking paper.
- Sift flour, cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment until thick and pale. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, buttermilk, a pinch of salt flakes and the grated apple.
- Fold to combine and the grated apple. Fold to combine. Add to pans and smooth tops with the back of a spoon. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely in pans.
- To make the maple apple toffee sauce, place apple juice and maple syrup in a deep saucepan over medium heat and simmer, swirling pan occasionally, for 10 minutes or until reduced by one-third. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cool, cut the cake into bit size pieces and spoon the toffee sauce and place in a pre-heated oven until warm
- Take out and serve a scoop of your banana bread crumb ice cream and a spoon of the toffee apple sauce
- Top with chopped almonds and enjoy