For the cake:
- 160g unsalted butter
- 240g yes you can vanilla cake mix
- 2 eggs
- Zest of one large lemon
- Zest of one large orange
- 5 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp milk
For the frosting
- 30g butter
- 60g cream cheese
- 60g yes you can vanilla icing mix
- Juice of half a lemon
- 100 ml thickened cream
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Place the butter into a saucepan over medium low heat. Once the butter starts foaming, it will change colour and start smelling nutty. Lower the flame if the butter starts sizzling. Once the better smells nutty and turns brown, take it off the heat and transfer it to another bowl. The butter can burn easily so watching over it would be ideal.
- Add the lemon and orange zest, then allow the butter to cool. Whisk in the egg till the mixture is light and fluffy.
- At this stage, add the honey and milk. Then fold in your sifted flour until you get the consistency of a cake batter.
- Bake this in a greased and parchment paper lined 6-inch tin for 20 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
- For the frosting, cream together the butter and icing mix till combined. Add the cream cheese and whisk it again.
- To this mixture, add the cream and whisk till smooth. The lemon juice can be added at the end.
- Once the cake is done, allow it to cool completely before spreading the frosting over it and its ready to eat!