Makes 10 serves
- 1 1/2 cups YesYouCan Self raising flour
- 1/2 cup YesYouCan Chia flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs separated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter for greasing
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, salt, and 2 tbsp of sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, with egg yolks, ricotta cheese, lemon zest till nicely combined. Slowly incorporate the milk mixture into the dry ingredients until combined.
- In a stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Preheat a griddle with the unsalted butter. Do not let the butter burn
- Spoon in approximately 60ml of the mixture into greased 7cmx3cm metal rings. Cook for 10 minutes, let the hotcakes cook until bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minutes.
- Remove rings and flip them over and cook till golden brown, about 2-3 additional minutes. The edges should be crispy brown.
- Transfer the cooked hot cakes to plates and serve with fresh berries or maple syrup