Gluten Free Date Pepitas and Chia Loaf Recipe
by Chef Sebastian Simon
- 20g Pepitas
- 150g dry dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 120g light brown sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra, melted for greasing tin
- 180ml water
- 200g YesYouCan Banana Bread Mix
- 2 tbsp chia seeds ( add the 2 tbsp of the date slurry with chia seeds to bloom)
- 1/2 tsp bicarb (baking) soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten or YesYouCan Vegan Egg Replacer
- 1 medium banana, peeled and mashed (100g)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Scatter Pepitas on baking tray and roast for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and once cool, and set aside.
- Place dates, sugar, butter and water in a saucepan and heat gently till sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Increase the heat and bring to boil, then remove from heat straight away and let cool to room temperature.
- Line your tin/s of choice by brushing with melted butter and lining with baking paper.
- Add bicarb soda, egg, vanilla and banana to date mixture and stir to combine. Add chia and fold in the YesYouCan Banana Bread Mix and salt, being careful not to overmix.
- Dollop batter into loaf tin/s and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in tins for 15 minutes before turning out to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve in thick slices, spread generously with butter