- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- few basil leaves, optional
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups polenta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes or vegan parmesan + extra to serve
Heat oil on low and fry the garlic for 1-2 minutes in a medium pot. Pour the tomato puree, salt, and basil and cover and simmer on low while polenta cooks.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large pot with the salt. Once water has boiled, whisk the water and slowly pour the polenta while still whisking. Lower heat and continue stirring until there are no more lumps.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until the polenta has softened. Take off the heat and mix in the butter (or oil) and parmesan (or nutritional yeast).
- Scoop the polenta in bowls and pour the tomato puree mix (sugo) over.
- Garnish with vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast flakes.
Inspired by: https://www.freefromallergyshow.com/learn_recipe/polenta-al-sugo-soft-polenta/